This course is designed for nursing personnel. Its purpose is to instruct the learner of the purpose and function of the State Boards of Nursing, the Nurse Practice Acts, and the individual nurse’s responsibility in following the laws. A nurse that understands the scope of practice for his or her nursing license keeps their license. A nurse that does not understand the scope of his or her nursing practice risks practicing outside the law and runs the risk of losing their license.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Define the role of the Board of Nursing.
- Define the Nurse Practice Act and how it defines individual nursing practice.
- Describe what “scope of practice” means.
- Identify different scenarios that may not be readily apparent as putting a nursing license at risk.
- Identify two functions of the State Board of Nursing.